SALARY SCALE DESIGN eBOOK: STRATEGY, STRUCTURE, AND SYNTHESIS
The salary scale is the single most important document in human resources. It tells you everything you need to know about an organization:
• How the organization positions itself in the market
• The value the organization places on its jobs
• How relationships across jobs are managed
• Possible career progressions
• Where the organization stands on equity and transparency
For an organization to work efficiently and achieve team cohesion, a well-balanced salary scale is crucial as it drives all other critical HR programs — everything from recruitment, staff retention, promotion, and ultimately career development.
Designing a salary scale requires skill and expertise, balancing the internal considerations and team dynamics with the external market. It’s an art form, not just math.